Ex-gazebo, Seymour Demonstration Forest
An epic run along the entire length of Lynn Creek, to celebrate Lynn Creek, the lifeblood of the North Shore trail running scene.
DATE: Sunday, August 23, 2009
TIME: 8 am
START: The site of the now-deceased gazebo, Seymour Demonstration Forest
- north on gravel path;
- go past turnoffs to Rice Lake & Lynn Loop Trails
- turn right onto (main, lower) Cedar Mills Trail;
- run to the end of Cedar Mills Trail, to near Norvan Falls;
- follow Hanes Valley/Lynn Headwaters/Grouse Mountain Trail sign;
- over cool Norvan Creek suspension bridge to Lynn Lake Trail (DON'T continue west along Hanes Valley Trail): http://www.flickr.com/photos/clubfatass/3826976247/in/pool-clubfatass/;
- up and over Lynn Creek (trail crosses creek in several places. The water will likely be very low, allowing for efficient rock-hopping).
- Lynn Creek eventually hits a fork, with left/straight branch heading steeply up (DON'T go there). Lynn Creek Trail is to the right, up a narrow canyon, with a quick up-climb to the home stretch). Look for a large yellow disc trail marker.
- Large half-kilometre on spongy trail to Lynn Lake, the headwaters of Lynn Creek;
- admire mist-shrouded cirque surrounding Lynn Lake;
- TURN AROUND
- back (south; downstream) along same route;
- pass Gazebo site
- into first forest trail at top of hill down to Pipeline Bridge (this route is the same as the Kneeknacker from the aid station near gazebo site);
- run down, back past Suspension Bridge;
- down Baden Powell Trail to Lynn Creek valley floor and then climb up BPT to junction;
- DON'T GO EAST on BPT towards Seymour River
- instead, peel off south/right after ascent, onto Sea to Sky trail (aka Lillooett Trail) (think Dirty Duo race route);
- down to gravel road running parallel to Lynn Creek (think Dirty Duo race route);
- cross pedestrian bridge to west side of creek;
- go under Highway bridge;
- continue running on west side of creek; turns into gravel running path, punching out at Main Street near Brooksbank;
- cross Main Street;
- go to Petsmart parking lot (to west of MEC): go to south end of parking lot (you'll likely see a train);
- there is a small but clear trail at end of parking lot, heading down to creek bed;
- pass under railroad track bridge, along left side (dry creek bed) (grafitti);
- immediately climb up bank left to Harbourview Park parking lot;
- run south about .3 K;
- end triumphantly at top of observation platform at the mouth of Lynn Creek looking over Burrard Inlet.
DISTANCE: about 30K entire route. OR: roll your own distance!: Easy run of 14K to Norvan Falls and back. About 22K to Lynn Lake and back. Or gentle downhill 8K or so from Gazebo to the sea!
RECOMMENDED: especially for upper reaches of Lynn Creek, a buddy is recommended.
TERRAIN: 75% trail running; 10% road; 15% (shallow) creek rock hopping
ROUTE MAPS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8661048@N07/sets/72157622025785822/show/with/3816146961/
PREVIEW: a good write-up of the route and views, on Club Tread: http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27433&SearchTerms="lynn,lake"
Entry: There is no fee and you don't need to be a member of Club Fat Ass to participate in a Flash event, however whining is not allowed. No registration is required but please indicate your participation via the comment form below. You are responsible for your own well being and safety and should be self sufficient.
Please read the Release of All Claims. By participating in this event you agree to the terms of the Release of All Claims.