WHAT: See how many North Shore peaks you can run up and bag in a summer. All but the island mountains qualify as munros (in excess of 3000 feet) under the Scottish peak-bagging system.
DATE: Between July 1 and October 22, 2009.
WHERE: non-technical or less-technical (Class 3 or easier) North Shore mountains (listed below). Although I can't list them all, I'll record peaks in Fraser Valley, and Squamish to Whistler peaks (although if push comes to shove, and there is a tie, the listed peaks will be counted). Official totals below are in brackets.
RESOURCES: For routes, etc. it is recommended to visit Bivouac.com or clubtread.com.
RESULTS: Email me your mountainous conquests, with the dates, and I will post ongoing standings. As I’m lazy, wait until you have three or four bagged before sending them in.
PHOTOS: Photos posted so far: http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=baggerchallenge2009
Please post your photos, too, via the CFA Flickr site: http://www.clubfatass.com/photogalleries (instructions here: www.clubfatass.com/help/image It's easy!). Please tag your photos: ClubFatAss ClubFatAssEvents BaggerChallenge2009 (space separating each tag on the flickr template)
WINNING TIE-BREAKER MECHANISM:
In the case of a tie for first place:
1. non-core peaks (i.e. those not on the North Shore and not listed) will not be counted;
2. if still a tie, the bagger with the most photos posted on the CFA Flickr website will win;
3. if still a tie, the bagger with the most unique bags (i.e. peaks that no one else visited) will win;
4. if still a tie, the bagger with the most obscure/difficult bags (at the completely arbitrary discretion of the host) will win.
NO SANDBAGGING: all claims to bagging a peak must be submitted as promptly as possible (in most cases, within 3 days) of the actually climb (perhaps more if you have to stay overnight), and climbs of more than two weeks old will be stale-dated. Amnesty for submitting late peaks: October 4th
PRIZE: The winner will be the proud bearer of the CFA Bagger Quaich cup for the year: the appropriate cup from which to drink a winter whisky and contemplate how awesome you are.
There will be an auxiliary prize for the person who draws the most other people into the cult of peak-bagging.
BAGGERS' BANQUET: To cap off the bagging season, we will be hosting a barbeque for all bagger participants and their significant others. Bagger burgers (meaty and veggy) will be served. The Bagger Quaich will be awarded (unless the host wins, in which case there will be awkward silence on this topic).
Date: Friday, October 23rd. From 6pm.
Place: 1368 West 21st Street (near Capilano Elementary School, in Pemberton Heights).
RSVP jeldac "at" shaw "dot" ca
Entry: There is no fee and you don't need to be a member of Club Fat Ass to participate in a Flash event, however whining is not allowed. That being said, many of the peaks listed should only be attempted by those with the experience and fitness level of a typical Club Fat Ass member (i.e. ample mountain running experience over long distances).
No registration is required but please send your report of bagged peaks (wait until you have 3) to David (as a member you can click on David's user name and message him; if you are not a member please use the comment function below).
Important safety considerations: All of these adventures are potentially dangerous.
Mountains marked with a ** are scramble ascents or otherwise exposed or otherwise remote and undeveloped and should only be attempted by experienced climbers wearing helmets, etc. Don't try these routes in anything but perfect weather.
Use great caution when rocks are wet -- slipping is the cause of most accidents on North Shore mountains.
Always run/hike with a buddy.
You are responsible for your own well being and safety and should be self sufficient.
Here are two useful lists of "MUST HAVE" survival items that all participants should carry:
Release of All Claims. By participating in this event you agree to be wholly responsible for your own well-being and agree not to sue anyone associated with this event or Club Fat Ass or any person in relation to this activity. By participating in this event you agree to the terms of the Release of All Claims.
QUALIFYING MOUNTAINS (ranges from west to east)
Howe Sound Islands
- Mt. Liddell (Gambier Island) (904m) (LID)
- Mt. Killam (Gambier Island) (844m) (KIL)
- Mt. Artaban (Gambier Island) (615m) (ART)
- Mt. Gardner (Bowen Island) (727m) (GAR)
- Leading Peak (Anvil Island) (765m) (LEA)
Lions/Howe Sound Crest Trail Area (&&& = new route HSCT passes right over these peaks: old route drops down east towards Hanging & Enchanted Lakes, bypassing James Peak) maps.google.ca/maps/ms
- St. Mark’s Mountain (1355m) (MAR) &&&
- Unnecessary Mountain (1548 m) (UNN) &&&
- West Lion (1654m) ** (LIO)
- James Peak (1466m) (JAS) &&&
- David Peak (1480m) (DAV) &&&
- Mount Harvey (1652m) (HAR)
- Brunswick Mountain (1788m) (BRU)
- Hat Mountain (1644 m) (HAT)
- Wettin Peak (1538m) ** (WET)
- Mount Hanover (1748 m) ** (HAN)
- Mount Windsor (1689 m) (WIN)
- Deeks Peak (1672 m) (DEE)
- Gotha Peak (1641m) ** (GOT)
- Capilano Mountain (1685 m) (CAP)
- Black Mountain (1217m) (BLA)
- Hollyburn Mountain (1325m) (HOL)
- Mount Strachan (1454m) (STR)
- Mount Fromme (1185m) (FRO)
- Grouse Mountain (1231m) (GRO)
- Dam Mountain (1349m) (DAM)
- Goat Mountain (1401m) (GOA)
- Little Goat Mountain (1323m) (LIL)
- Crown Mountain (1504m) (CRO)
- West Crown / Sleeping Beauty Mountain (1400m) (WCR)
- Lynn Peak (1015m) (LYN)
- The Needles (1258m) ** (NEE) (nb South Needle at 1163m qualifies for a bag -- see below)
- Coliseum Mountain (1441m) (COL)
- Mount Burwell (1541m) (BUR)
- Cathedral Mountain (1737m) ** (CAT)
- Mount Seymour (1449m) (SEY)
- Runner Peak (1370 m) ** (RUN)
- Mount Elsay (1419m) (ELS)
- Rector Peak (1270m) ** (REC)
- Curate Peak (1266m) ** (CUR)
- Vicar Peak (1247m) ** (VIC)
- Mount Bishop (1509m) ** (BIS)
- Deacon Peak (1495m) ** (DEA)
- Presbyter Peak (1487m) ** (PRE)
- Mount Dickens (1288m) ** (DIC)
FINAL STANDINGS (October 22nd) [of 44 peaks in total] [Peaks and totals in square brackets = total 2009 bags from official list (including those outside Baggers Challenge time period]
Ken Legg: 42(41) [42/44] : BLA, HOL, GRO, CRO, WCR, SEY, RUN, ELS, LIO, MAR, UNN, JAS, DAV, HAR, BRU, LIL, DAM, LYN, COL, BUR, CAT, REC, CUR, VIC, BIS, DEA, PRE, DEE, WIN, GOT, GOA, HAN, HAT, WET, GAR, CAP, NEE, ART, LEA, FRO, STR, [LID] Fat Ass Peak [left: DIC, KIL]
Ean Jackson: 41(40) [40/44]: BLA, DAM, GRO, GOA, FRO, SEY, RUN, LYN, COL, BUR, HOL, STR, LIL, CRO, WCR, LIO, JAS, DAV, HAR, BRU, MAR, UNN, GAR,ELS, REC, CUR, VIC, BIS, DEA, PRE, DIC, HAT, WIN, DEE, WET, LID, NEE, ART, LEA, KIL, Fat Ass Peak [left: CAP, CAT, GOT, HAN]
David Crerar: 41(40) [44/44] : ART, BLA, SEY, BRU, HAR, LIO, UNN, MAR, HOL, STR, GRO, DAM, LIL, CRO, WCR, GOA, FRO, LYN, NEE, COL, CAP, GAR, RUN, ELS, REC, CUR, VIC, BIS, DEA, PRE, DIC, HAT, JAS, DAV, GOT, WIN, DEE, LEA, HAN, WET, [BUR, CAT, KIL, LID], Middle Needle, Fat Ass Peak
Glenn Pace: 36 [36/44]: BLA, DAM, GRO, GOA, UNN, MAR, JAS, DAV, SEY, HOL, STR, LYN, LIL, CRO, WCR, COL, BUR, FRO, NEE, GAR, LIO, HAR, BRU, RUN, ELS, REC, CUR, VIC, BIS, DEA, PRE, GOT, WIN, DEE, ART, LEA [left: CAP, HAN, HAT, WET, DIC, CAT, KIL, LID]
Tundra the Ultra Dog: 32 [32/44]: JAS, DAV, HAR, BRU, HOL, GRO, DAM, LIL, CRO, WCR, LYN, COL, BUR, CAT, SEY, RUN, ELS, REC, CUR, VIC, BIS, DEA, PRE, DEE, WIN, GOT, GOA, GAR, CAP, NEE, FRO, STR
Neil Ambrose: 20(18): BLA, COL, BUR, GRO, FRO, DAM, CRO, LIL, GOA, HOL, STR, GAR, LYN, SEY, ELS, MAR, UNN, NEE, Golden Ears, Fat Ass Peak
Carolyn King: 16(13): GRO, HOL, STR, BLA, GAR, LYN, SEY, ELS, MAR, DAM, GOA, LIL, NEE, Golden Ears, Burnaby Mountain, Fat Ass Peak
Craig Moore: 14: BLA, FRO, GRO, HOL, STR, MAR, UNN, LYN, NEE, DAM, LIL, GOA, LID, KIL
Wendy Montgomery: 14(13): DAM, LIL, CRO, WCR, STR, LYN, FRO, GRO, ART, BLA, NEE, MAR, UNN, Fat Ass Peak
Dave Berg: 13: BLA, CRO, WCR, GOA, COL, BUR, SEY, LIL, DAM, GRO, FRO, LYN, NEE
Mike Wardas: 11: SEY, LYN, COL, BUR, GRO, DAM, LIL, CRO, GOA, FRO, DEA
Ryan Conroy: 11(8): BLA, DAM, LIL, CRO, COL, LYN, NEE, COL, Gate, Middle Needle, North Needle
Paul Cubbon: 8(7): BLA, STR, GRO, DAM, GOA, HAT, DEE, Fat Ass Peak
Monty Watts: 7: BLA, LYN, HOL, GRO, SEY, BRU, HAR
James Clarke: 6: GRO, CRO, ELS, DAM, COL, BUR
Harry Crerar: 5: SEY, ART, GAR, STR, DAM
Rick Arikado: 5: BLA, GRO, LYN, SEY, RUN
Jason Oliver: 5(4): MAR, UNN, LIO, GRO, Golden Ears
Pippa Crerar: 4: SEY, ART, STR, DAM
Heather Urquhart: 4: MAR, UNN, LYN, NEE
Meggan Oliver: 4(3): MAR, UNN, LIO, Golden Ears
Janice Vallis: 4(3): BLA, GRO, SEY, Burnaby Mountain
Sibylle Tinsel: 3: STR, LYN, BLA
Kirsten Ramage: 3: BLA, GRO, LIL
Curb Ivanic: 3: BLA, HOL, STR
EJPowderhound Jackson: 3(2): STR, LYN, Fat Ass Peak
Glenn Dorey: 2: ART, LEA
Doug Keir: 2: LYN, GRO
Kathryn Webb: 2: LYN, GRO
Simon Cowell: 2: BRU, BLA
Donald Golob: 2: HOL, STR
Jojocheesepig Jackson: 2(1): STR, Fat Ass Peak
Rob McDonald: 1: DEA
Olav Brusletto: 1: NEE
Jill Warland: 1: BLA
Marilyn Tschirhart: 1: GAR
Ron Tschirhart: 1: GAR
Peter Rietveld: 1: GAR