I was very pleasantly surprised last week to find out that Dave and Jess had been plotting behind my back about an early birthday present. I was even more pleasantly surprized to find out that the present was a hydration pack to replace my waist pack on longer runs. After some very well thought out suggestions from Jess on appropriate packs (and trying on some others that were SO uncomfortable even in the store), the choice was made for the Nathan Intensity vest. Little did we know how hard it was to find in the lower mainland.
After calling every running store we could think of, we accepted the fact that a trip to Runner's Den in port moody was in order. (LOVE that they had no problem putting one aside for me!) Last Saturday's Skyline XTC was my second time wearing the pack, my first time wearing it on the trails/for a long run. Here are some observations:
- Comfortable. Although took some trial and error to adjust the harness, the fit was very comfortable and didn't bounce or rub anywhere.
- Capacity was great. at 2lt, I had more than enough water for 5 hrs. Granted, 2 lt of water weighs more than I expected!
- Handy pockets - was able to carry a camera (well, had to go buy one first to fit into that pocket), chews and munchies. Nearly everything fit in the front pockets which meant I didn't have to take the vest off to access.
- Vented - wasn't nearly as warm on my back as i anticipated. Although last weekend was on the cool side, I'm expecting this to be comfortable throughout the summer weather as well.
- Drinking convenience - very easy to use without having to stop and walk. I was accustomed to water belts where I was never able to get the bottles out, opened, drink and replaced while running
- With all of the packaging tags attached, it would have been nice to have some instructions on proper fitting of the vest. I think this would have saved me a lot of trial and error. Not that I'm convinced I have it right yet...
- Would like the back pocket to be just a little bit larger. Not sure where I'd carry an extra shirt or jacket..
- Less than flattering looking. The boobage is attrocious! I will be making sure any pictures in the future are taken before the vest is on.
- Light coloured so dirty already. Not sure how it will handle being laundered.
Anyhow, just my thoughts on the Nathan Intenstity. For longer trail runs, I expect that my waist belt has been retired.